Thursday, April 10, 2014

Blynman Bridge Gloucester Ma





               
               The Blynman Bridge, or the "Cut Bridge" in Gloucester Ma got it names for Reverend Blynman, the political and religious leader of the time. The reason the bridge exist is that Gloucester was made a island after digging out a connection rom the harbor to the anasquam river. Blynman was the supervisor for cutting of the first canal in the harbor. The first bridge was built on this location so that fishing boats would have a safer passage home if they fished north of Gloucester.  Annisquam is the Indian word for "river with two mouths" like the americains we are we changed that and created a main made canal orienting the river to the need of our liking. The Bridge is very importing to us Gloustonains for it allows for more than one way off the Island. It is also a pain when you have to wait for all the boats to cross but great for when I want to go to the north quick instead of going around cape Anne. 



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Many men go fishing all of their lives without 
knowing that it is not fish they are after
  - Henry David Thoreau 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work Cited

 http://www.gloucestertimes.com/local/x1387855497/Blynman-Bridge-weights-snag-city

http://wikimapia.org/890743/Blynman-Cut-Bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annisquam_River

 


3 comments:

  1. I have seen that bridge before in Gloucester. Couple of years ago, I was on my way to my high school football team game and this bridge opened so the boats could get by. For fact I know that it's close to the beach and the Gloucester High School.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have passed over and under this bridge many times. Gloucester is a wonderful place that our family enjoys during all seasons. We bring our dogs to run on Good Harbor Beach and at Stage Fort Park which the town built a nice dog park. My friends and I travel down the Annisquam River from Ipswich to Gloucester to fish on nice days. My friend is docked down by the Mad Fish Grille in Gloucester harbor and my wife's dad is docked at Enos Marina. The Greasy Pole is an event to see during the St. Peter's Fiesta in Gloucester especially if you are out on a boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool pictures and information! I've also passed under this bridge many times in my friend's boats. It's interesting to learn about the history of a bridge I've seen before!

    ReplyDelete