Sunday, May 6, 2018

The Lincoln Memorial (1922)

This year, from March 15th to March 18th, I took another trip down to Washington D.C. This time for pleasure rather than all that climate march business in my previous post. Last time was fun and all, but there wasn't nearly enough time to wander around and see the sights before being packed into a hot bus. I took a 10 hour bus ride to get there and I was determined to take in all I could squeeze into a weekend trip to the nation's capitol. Originally I went for the Cherry Blossom Festival, but it was too cold for the blossoms to bloom, so the festival was delayed for a month! Found my way back to the mall to start. Easiest place since all the museums are located on one convenient strip


But my main topic of this post, like my last, is a specific attraction. This being the great Lincoln Memorial. You'd know coming into this what it's all about from the title. After my trek all around the city, the walk up to the monument and the steep steps going up are pretty daunting. The monument covered up the sun on my way up. It's much larger being there than the way that it looks than you'd see it on television. The steps and inside were flooded with people taking pictures and reading the inscriptions on the wall





"The Lincoln Memorial is an American national monument built to honor the 16th President of the United StatesAbraham Lincoln. It is located on the western end of the National Mall in Washington, D.C., across from the Washington Monument. Dedicated in 1922, it is one of several monuments built to honor an American president. It has always been a major tourist attraction and since the 1930s has been a symbolic center focused on race relations."

"Below the quote sits a 19-foot tall, 175-ton statue of President Lincoln, himself looking out over the Mall of the country that he fought so hard to preserve and unite. The statue was designed by Daniel Chester French, who worked to depict Lincoln during the Civil War, stately and dignified. Interestingly, though the memorial was approved decades earlier, construction did not begin until 1914, and the memorial opened to the public in 1922."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Memorial
https://washington.org/DC-guide-to/lincoln-memorial

1 comment:

  1. I think your photo of the steps captures the grandeur of walking up them. It is a truly inspiring monument to our greatest President, in my mind, because he was able to end the scourge of slavery in our country

    ReplyDelete