Thursday, May 10, 2018

Martin Luther King Jr Boston Home

                      https://boston.curbed.com/2016/1/11/10848190/martin-luther-king-jr-boston

Martin Luther King Jr was born in Atlanta, Georgia on January 15, 1929. King stayed in Atlanta until he graduated from Morehouse College in 1948. He then attended Boston University from 1951-1955. While studying at Boston University, King lived at this home (pictured above). I have driven by this building many, many times and did not know of its historical background until I actually walked by it when I exited the subway located next door. There is an official plague commemorating his tenancy. In the Spring of 1954, King was invited to become the new minister in Alabama and although his classes in Boston had ended he was still writing his dissertation so he traveled back and forth from Boston to Alabama. He received his degree on June 5, 1955. Six months later the Montgomery bus boycott ended.

2 comments:

  1. I thought that this was a really interesting historical location to post about, mainly because beforehand I wasn't familiar with some of Dr. King's history with the area. I honestly had no idea MLK studied at and graduated from Boston University. I also found it interesting that there wasn't a lot of time in between him receiving his degree from the university and the Montgomery Bus Boycott concluding. I think it does a good job to illustrate that King at the time of the Montgomery Bus Boycott was still relatively inexperienced in some areas. Overall a very good post on an interesting subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, nice post. I liked learning that he traveled back and forth from Boston to Montgomery for the bus boycott. He was only 26 years old, a very young man.

    ReplyDelete