Monday, April 16, 2018

Grand Army of the Republic Museum

Grand Army of the Republic Museum in Lynn, MA

http://www.ci.lynn.ma.us/attractions_gar.shtml

I had no idea what I wanted to do a blog post on. My sister is a bit of a history buff, so I asked her for some ideas. She told me about this little museum right in Lynn on a street you wouldn’t expect to find one. She had been there multiple times in high school for a class project. I told her that we had stopped by the place on our outing but didn’t get to go in because it was closed. So I brought my sister along with me to visit the museum. I learned that the building was built in 1885 but wasn’t registered as a historic site until about 100 years later. The GAR post was also the fifth built here in Massachusetts. I wished I took a picture of the main hall but I was too busy looking around, but you really wouldn’t expect how big the room was from the outside of the building. The main room was originally the post's meeting room which consisted of over a thousand portraits of veterans lined all over the room.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I love that GAR Museum on Andrews Street in Lynn. Maybe give readers a little background on the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) and what they accomplished as and for veterans of the Civil War.

    ReplyDelete