Thursday, December 8, 2016

Old Burying Ground Cemetery

Eastern Burial Ground Cemetery
In Lynn


I have been living in Lynn for around 5 years and I have always seen that cemetery in there. One day on my way to school I pay close attention to it and I thought" there must be some one important " or at least a lot of history preserved in there about Lynn.

For those of you that do not know where it is, you can find this Burying Ground in the westerly part of the city which was originally at the center of the of the town. This cemetery is found on Union street Lynn Ma. It was the only one used by the town around 1720.

The reason why they selected this spot at the end of the common for a burying place is not known. It could have been because of it's proximity to the church.


Right at this moment the cemetery is closed, any one cannot go in it. It seen to be totally vandalized and no one takes care of it. It is very sad to see how this cemetery should be in a better condition. This should be a "Memorial place" not in the way that it is now. For me it was hard to believe that they have not do anything about this cemetery because it is part of the history of Lynn.


To know more about this old burying ground, the town of Lynn was settled in 1629 the old stone now standing bears the date of June, 1698. Probably many had been destroy. There are 9 tombs on the side adjoining Elm St. that probably could be from the 1800 owned by:
  • Joel Newhall
  • Lucy Newhall
  • Dr. James Gardner
  • James Robinson
  • Benjamin Johnson
  • Aaron Breed
  • Colonel Frederic Breed
  • William Newhall
  • Dr. Aaron Lemus
  • Henry A. Breed
These are some of the names that highlight, but there are a lot more that I have found. In this webpage you will be able to investigate more of from what I have provided.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91382 
http://www.calcentral.com/~malewis/newworld/cemetery.html



A few years ago, the bones of a human skeleton were exhumed on the adjoin estate of the late Jonathan Bacheler; they were found near the surface of the ground and were supposed to be the remains of an Indian. It could of just been because the ground is clear and sandy it wash off with rain because of all the years in there.
I am not really sure if that was true or false, but what I do know if very interesting that something like that could of happen before.


By doing this blog I took something really Important. That will be, that we have to take care of what we have now. It is very sad to see that cemetery in such a bad conditions. It gives me a feeling of disrespect for the people that are in there and for the families too.
Sometimes I think to big , but who knows if your Great, great, great Grandfather is in there? That could be a possibility!!
It is really good to know what can you find on your surroundings. In my case this is what I found and what I see on my way to school. What else could it be out there?
Hope you like it!!
Raisa Ferreras

1 comment:

  1. Raisa, I liked your post. There is little information on the Eastern Burial Ground online. I made some edits. I put in new links. The link you had was to an account about the "Western Burial Ground" which is in Market Square. Can you find the source of the story about the skeleton that was found and put a link to it. I could not find anything. Some of Hutchinson Family Singer members are buried in the Eastern Burial Ground. John and Asa Hutchinson, and others. I heard that their monument had been badly vandalized.

    ReplyDelete