Monday, November 7, 2016

"The Witch House"


"The Witch House"



This is the house of Judge Jonathan Corwin which is also known as “the witch house”. Some sources state that the reason why people started calling it “the witch house” was because of its ties to the Salem witch trials.
 This house is located at 310 Essex street in Salem MA. Historians believe that this house was built in 1675 for captain Richard Daveport who was still working on the house when he sold it to Jonathan Corwin who then finished building it.
On Tuesday November 1st I was passing by this house when I remembered that I had to do a blog for my history class so since I had always been curious to see the inside of this house I decided to go in for a tour. I have to say I was very disappointed because I was hoping for it to be a guided tour so I could obtain good information about the house but, unfortunately it was a self-guided tour so I feel like I missed a lot of information.
I thought this house was perfect to do a blog on since we talked about the Salem witch trials in class and this house is believed to be the only structure still standing that has direct ties to the Salem witch trials of 1692. Some other sources also state that a few of the examinations of the Salem witch trials may have been conducted in this house while Jonathan Corwin still lived there.
Corwin lived in this house for 40 years until his death in 1718. This house remained in the Corwin family for many generations and has been renovated many times since then and it is now a historical museum.


 The house is very nice and big, it consists of four big rooms, two on the first floor and two on the second floor. All the walls are painted white however it is kind of dark. Inside the house there are many signs and displays explaining the general history of the Salem witch trials.
There where many things inside this house that I did not understand what they were or why they there which is another reason why I wish it had been a guided tour.



No comments:

Post a Comment