Thursday, December 17, 2015

Lyannough Statue

This beautiful statue is located in Main street Hyannis, MA.  While walking on the town of Hyannis during my honeymoon, I founded this statue very eye catching, it is such a beautiful work of art! It has a very rich and dark brown color; the material is very soft to the touch.  However, this statue represents “Lyannough”, he was very famous for his kindness, hospitality, to the Pilgrims, and for having a tragic destiny.  “Lyannough” was the leader of the Native American Tribe called the (Mattakeese). He is related to the period we studied in chapter 2 of our book, “The Beginnings of English America”.  In this chapter we learned about the “Pilgrims” and how they landed on Cape Cod Instead of Virginia.

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard about this history. I read all the information you supplied on Lyannough. Questions it brought up for me, and what I would be interested in exploring more would be the cause of the starvation and the deaths of the native Americans. Did they die of disease like small pox? If they were all sick, maybe they could not farm? Did that set up a vicious cycle?

    ReplyDelete